Novi trg Square is an open space in the centre of Ljubljana’s quarter extending between the Vegova ulica street, the Križanke Summer Theatre and Dvorni trg square. The area was only incorporated into the city and its walls in the 14th century. A new city gate was built near the present Dvorni trg square and named Vice Duke’s Gate, which stood on the site of the present University of Ljubljana building. The buildings surrounding Novi trg included the Carniolan provincial palace called Lontovž and Auersperg Palace, Ljubljana’s most beautiful Baroque palace. It was destroyed in the earthquake of 1895. The site of the latter is now occupied by the National and University Library, built by the famous architect Jože Plečnik.